Monday, January 7, 2008

Art journals and exercising creativity

I fear that I lack creativity. I tend to paint and draw what I see, quite literally only what I see, exactly as I see it. Now maybe I'll look at something and notice something that another person might not, but it's still a literal interpretation. And I so admire the abilities of others to interpret and to create something new!!! I want to go there!!

So how do you start exercising creativity?

Not really sure, but to start, I bought and were given a few art journals. I never got into them before and am always amazed when I see other people's journals exploding with creativity. I think getting used to carrying one around and using it for ideas and doodles or whatever might help with my creative issues. Also, if I carry a journal with me while we travel, I can sketch and paint on the road. I bought this little watercolor field kit and just adore it. It's so handy and I love the quality of the paint.

So, here's the plan. One journal for at work, a teensy one in my purse, and another one or two laying around the house.


Here is my first journal painting. Done while on a recent trip to Portugal. This tuft of decorative grass was right outside our apartment window and we were both just enthralled by it.

1 comment:

Melissa M (Lagaz) said...

I have an art journal. I'm finding it both hard and easier to do work in it. Hard because I can only do little doodles most of the time, easy because I carry it with me almost anywhere and I can just pull it out of my bag. I like using it, and having it easily accessilble. It just takes some getting used to, and remembering that you have it with you. ;)